The purpose and the mission of the European Information Technologies Certification Institute is to accelerate growth of the international information society and knowledge based economy, as well as to counter digital exclusion in societies worldwide.
For this purpose EITCI Institute develops international framework of quality standards for Information Technologies education and certification processes (focusing on development of relevant IT certification programmes and related methodologies) responding to dynamic shortening of technological solutions life cycles, as well as rapidly changing competencies requirements for sustained competitivity on jobs markets. Parallely EITCI Institute supports vendors in adhering to highest quality standards in Information Technology solutions' development and deployment by implementing technological testing and certification upon set of international and European norms.
In order to successfully achieve its purpose and mission, EITCI Institute undertakes the following efforts:
- Improving international Information Technologies IT, Information Communication Technologies ICT or applied informatics (jointly referred to as IT) competences and skills certification standards through independent programmes and methodologies development, research, dissemination and related activities
- Increasing noncommercial and commercial accessibility to IT competencies certification programmes
- Bringing together academics working within IT training in Europe and elsewhere and promoting interaction between academics and industrial experts from different IT disciplines, as well as with public policy makers
- Encouraging dialogue between academics, industrial experts, legislators and businesses and seek to promote debate on major international IT training and IT certification issues in the contexts of international information society development and counteracting digital exclusion
- Commissioning and disseminating research and development results of IT training and IT certification programmes and methodologies
- Advising on the formulation of public policy and development of best practices in IT certification based on impartial and objective research and the collective know-how
- Engaging in any other activities that will improve understanding and exercising of IT certification impact on fundamental and professional IT knowledge development in the international society
The Institute seeks to achieve its aims by among others:
- Expanding on the activities of its individual and institutional members
- Promoting development of IT certification methodologies and standards (including certification programmes)
- Disseminating all relevant material (certification programmes, related research, etc.) through publications
- Periodically inviting distinguished academic or industrial IT experts to hold seminar and lectures
- Arranging international academic and industrial IT conferences
- Engaging in international cooperation towards standardization and norms development
EITCI Institute believes that digital skills are the most empowering skills to change situation of social groups partially excluded in terms of education, economy and health. We also believe that adhering to the highest quality standards in professional IT competencies dissemination will move the world forward in better understanding of its environment, general ethics, science, technology, work efficiency and healthcare. IT skills have a much greater impact than just introducing new ways and increasing efficiency of how information is processed and communicated. This is because information is about knowledge. And knowledge is about responsibility.
Pursuing development and international dissemination of high quality standards in IT competencies, EITCI Institute understands problems of people with all kinds disabilities. We believe that IT skills are one of the important means to at least partially overcome physical bariers related to disabilities. Therefore EITCI Institute since its conception in 2008 continues to put all our efforts at providing IT education and certification services free of charge to interested disabled persons.
EITCI Institute also realizes that our future is with our children. Therefore EITCI Institute also pursues free IT skills dissemination and certification among school youth internationally. Therefore it makes the Digital Literacy Certificate (DLC) and IT ID standards freely avaiable to all school youth before the tertiary education level.
Increasing efforts in achieving its goals and supporting more partially excluded social groups, EITCI Institute, as a member of the European Commission's Digital Skills and Jobs Coalition, has recently launched an initiative within the Coalition . More details are available at the EITCI Institute's DSJC pledge initiative page.